2020 ITIA Translation Competition for Secondary School Students
The Irish Translators’ and Interpreters’ Association (ITIA) was set up in 1986 and is the only professional association in Ireland representing the interests of practising translators and interpreters.
Following the successful competition over the last four years, the ITIA is once again organising a translation competition for secondary school students in Ireland.
Students are asked to translate an excerpt from a novel or short story from one of the following languages into English: French, Chinese (Mandarin), German, Irish, Italian, Polish, Japanese or Spanish.
A prize of €100 will be awarded to the best translation for each language.
The deadline for receipt of translations is:
5 pm, Friday, 15 May 2020
Instructions and additional information:
- Completed translations are to be sent as a PDF attachment only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your name, the name of your school and your year at school when submitting your translation.
- While students are encouraged to do online research and to use dictionaries, the use of a machine translation system such as Google Translate to actually translate the text is not permitted.
- Previous winners may only enter for a language combination for which they have not won a prize.
- Please note: the competition is not open to the families of members of the Association.
- Winners will be announced in September 2020 and a prize-giving ceremony will be held in Dublin.
- Please address all queries to: email@example.com