The ITIA welcomes translators and interpreters of all specialisations and levels of experience, offering membership in four different categories: student, affiliate, associate, and professional membership.
Membership benefits, application requirements and the procedure of joining are different for each category and detailed information on the latter can be found on the respective membership category page.
How to Join the ITIA
Entry requirements per category
- Student Membership is available to individuals currently taking undergraduate studies in any discipline or those undertaking postgraduate studies in translation or interpreting.
- Affiliate Membership is available to individuals with an interest in translation and interpreting.
- Associate Membership is available to individuals with a third level qualification in translation and/or interpreting and/or languages or to holders of a third level qualification with relevant experience.
- Professional Membership is available to qualified translators and interpreters with at least three years professional experience who pass the ITIA Professional Member examination.
Application requirements per category
Depending on which category you apply for, different documentation is needed to prove you meet the criteria for membership.
The table below provides an overview of the documents required for each individual category of ITIA membership. Further details about the application process and the respective documents needed for application can be found on the individual member category pages:
- Student ITIA membership
- Affiliate ITIA membership
- Associate ITIA membership
- Professional ITIA membership
Applications are accepted all year round except for all categories, except professional membership where applications are accepted only once a year in January.
Membership is at the discretion of the ITIA Executive Committee.
|Student member||Affiliate member||Associate member||Professional member|
|Completed membership application form||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Full and up-to-date CV||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Signed Code of Practice and Professional Ethics||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Proof of current registration as student||Yes||–||–||–|
|Proof of relevant qualification||–||–||Yes||Yes|
|Proof of professional experience||–||–||Yes (if applicable)||Yes|